Monday, August 1, 2011

#52 Spicy Pickeled Mexican veg and my inability to post regularly

Long time no post. I know. Silly. I just lost my will to polish and post content. The good news is that I have been generating content and I am gonna get off my ass and post it! And if I can figure this out at all I am gonna integrate this blog with my wordpress creative site, too. But enough of this.


I pickled this weekend... unlike other weekend were I just got pickled.


This is a combination of Jalapenos, red onions, carrots, and garlic pickled with vinegar and lime juice and spice. Yummy. 12 pint recipe will follow shortly and be edited into this post.

And Now the recipe
8 red onions, sliced in thin half rings
38 jalapeƱos, topped, halved and deseeded
2 C garlic, whole peeled cloves
14 bay leaves
1 lb Carrots, in large thin angled slices
15 C rice vinegar
1.5 C lime juice, fresh only (about 10 - 12 limes)
8 Tbl Salt
.5 C sugar

12 Pint jars with lids and rings (about $8.99 at the hardware store)

Mix veggies well in a large non-reactive bowl or container.
In a large pot bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil. Stir until the sugar and salt are completely dissolved. Add the lime juice and bring back up to just to a boiling (you don't want to over-boil the lime as it kills the flavor... but you do want to get it to boiling for about a min.)
Pour over the veggies and set aside to cool
In the bottom of each (washed) jar add 1 large bay leaf ( or two small ones).
Once the veggie mixture has cooled for about an hour or two, use your hand to evenly divide the veggies into the jars — packing them in is okay! I like to make the jars kinda pretty by showing the nice veggies on the outside. Then poor the vinegar mixture into the jars until very VERY full. This part is messy. It will spill when you put the lids on. The idea is to get rid of as much air as you can and keep those veggies submerged. Add tops and tighten down... then place in the fridge... you can dig into these in three days but I like them in one week. If kept continuously cold they will stay good for some time (several months).

If you want to hot seal them check out the directions here for canning pickels: http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment